Media and Communication Director, CircusTalk, 2014 – 2015
- Managed an international online news magazine, including assigning and editing contributions from many non-native English writers
- Researched and wrote news articles, feature stories, and other magazine content
- Wrote web content including user instructions, FAQ, and error messages
- Wrote marketing materials, advertisements, social media posts and responses, email notifications and newsletters, and other corporate communications
Writer and Editor, Freelance, 2001 – Present
- Write, edit, and project manage PlayfulProductions, CircusNYC, and JuggleNYC.
- Editws, copyeditws, and proofread for Elite Editing.
- Edited LAB book and festival program for Live Arts Festival & Philly Fringe
- Wrote Cirkus Cirkör Study Guide on contemporary circus for the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
- Edited annual report for World Monuments Fund.
- Wrote and edited instructor’s manuals for college sociology textbooks and websites (Pearson/Prentice Hall).
- Edited scientific bibliography, annual reports, and other materials for American Museum of Natural History.
- Wrote articles and edited financial statements and annual reports for Silicon Valley Bank.
- Edited Some Get the ‘Chair: A Memoir About Disability by Larry Kegan (publication pending).
- Wrote, edited, and consulted on marketing, sales, and curriculum materials for Circus of the Kids, Super Scientific Circus, Bindlestiff Family Cirkus, and Silly Billy.
Contributing Writer/Editor, JUGGLE magazine (Stagewrite Publishing), 2001 – Present
Teacher and Tutor, Kaplan Test Prep/Kaplan International Centers, 2005 – Present
- Teach and tutor verbal and math content to prepare for GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL, SSAT, and SHSAT.
- Teach intermediate, upper-level, and business English to non-native speakers.
Director of Special Projects, Big Apple Circus, 1996 – 2001
- Designed and created organizational materials including Hospital Activity Book and Circus Study Guide.
- Directed strategic planning and operations of Beyond the Ring® program, educating children about classical circus. More than doubled program hours and earned income and increased annual reach from approximately 100 to 700 children. Managed annual budget of $130,000 and oversaw a staff of fourteen instructors.
- Directed financial and operational aspects of Circus To Go!® program to provide entertainment for corporate and community events. Doubled gross revenues in one year to $350,000 in FY 01.
- Directed strategic and operational aspects of Circus of the Senses®, a circus for blind and deaf children. Expanded operations from one local show to six in different markets, serving 10,000 children per year.
- Directed strategic and operational aspects of Circus For All!®, which provides free and discounted circus tickets to children with special needs.
Manager of Special Projects, Big Apple Circus, 1993 – 1996
- Created marketing plan and training manual for Clown Care Unit®.
- Developed and adopted business plan for Circus Arts in Education (now Beyond the Ring®) program.
- Generated, developed, and implemented new program and product ideas for Health and Community Programs Division, which includes world-renowned Clown Care Unit®.
- Prepared division budgets and financial reports.
Strategic consultant, 1993
- Provided industry analysis, research, and recommendations on improving customer service and maximizing operating efficiency.
- Clients included American Express Consumer Card Group and The Wynbrandt Company.
Editor, Financial Planning Information, Inc., 1989 – 1991
- Wrote and edited books, newsletters, articles, and radio and television scripts on personal financial planning both for consumers and for financial services professionals.
- Wrote major copy for Safe Money in Tough Times (Dell 1991) and Wiesenberger Mutual Funds Investment Report.
- Designed a questionnaire on portfolio management, analyzed the responses from over 1,000 equity fund managers, and wrote and marketed the resulting 300-page report.
Yale School of Management, Master’s degree in Public and Private Management
- Dean’s and professors’ commendations for excellence.
- Teaching assistant: Consumer Behavior, Individual Decision Making.
- Tutor: Financial Management, Writing Assistance Program.
Harvard University, Bachelor of Arts
- Cum Laude in literature (honors thesis: The Heroine of the Harlequin: What Ever Happens to Baby Jane?)